Physical Education (PE) is taught to all of our pupils on a regular basis. We endeavour to give all children the opportunity to participate in, and enjoy, a variety of physical activities in order to promote, in each child, a life-long interest in their own physical well-being and fitness. We see PE as an important element of the curriculum since it allows the child to develop as a rounded individual, opening up a range of opportunities that they may otherwise not experience. We also recognise that pupils develop physically at different rates and therefore need to be catered for as individuals through differentiation.
We work in close partnership with both Saffron Walden County High School who organise a wide range of competitive events for the children to take part in and also provide high quality inservice training. We also work with Premier Sport who deliver the majority of our PE lessons. They are able to provide exeprtise in a range of sports (and extra-curricular clubs) and also provide support for the teaching staff by modelling best practice.
We teach swimming to the children in Class 2 for a two year period. This ensures that they have met the requirements of the swimming and water safety elements of the Key Stage 2 National Curriculum. These lessons take place on a weekly basis at Haverhill Leisure Centre.
During the pupil's time in Class 3 they will experience a residential visit that focuses on outdoor adveturous activities. In recent years this has been based at Mepal Outdoor Centre.
Our principal aims are to:
- actively promote equal access and opportunities for all pupils.
- develop children’s enthusiasm for, and enjoyment of, a wide range of P.E. activities.
- develop children’s ability to evaluate their own, and others', performances.
- encourage children to work co-operatively and value the ideals of team spirit and fair play.
- experience competitve activities either at a personal or team level.
- develop an awareness of safe practice and a knowledge of its application in different contexts.
- develop use of an appropriate vocabulary in both Key Stage 1 and 2.
- develop an understanding of tactics and how they can be positively used.
- promote the idea that P.E. is fun and that a healthy lifestyle is important.
Additionally we aim to ensure that all pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives.