At Great Sampford Primary School we use art and design its associated curriculum to stimulate the children’s creativity and imagination through visual, tactile and sensory experiences. Pupils use colour, pattern, form, texture and different materials and processes to communicate what they see, feel and think. During their time with us pupils will explore different artists and artistic movements and also learn about the diverse roles and functions of art and design in different times. They will have access to a wide range of media to produce works of art that encourage them to not only observe carefully but also to stimulate discussion through what they have created.
Our principal aims are to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences from both first-hand experience and the imagination
- improve their confidence and ability to control materials, tools and techniques and become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- evaluate and analyse creative works (both their own and the work of others) using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- develop and stimulate their creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities.
- develop their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures.
- foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts.
- develop a knowledge and understanding of, and the opportunity to work with, artists, craftspeople and designers.
- develop their understanding of the vocabulary associated with art activities.